Tuesday 7 August 2012

Fresh Water Usage at Home

I have lots of great information to share this week, so lets begin with what has been happening at home.

1. The results are in for our home freshwater survey and over the week we averaged 767 litres per day or 192 litres per person per day. This is a fair bit more than the 143 litres per person that was used by the Central South East Queensland. We will need to do something about our usage.

You can keep up to date with how much water we use in the South East Queensland Area by visiting the website below.
http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/releases/2012-08-03-daily-water-use.html

2. Now the worst users of water were my sister and I who used 58% of all the water used, during our daily 13 minute showers.

I will ask dad to replace the shower head and install a timer so that we can reduce our consumption when we redo the survey next week.
Otherwise we must be really dirty to have used so much water.

The next highest use of water was from Mum and Dad's shower where 16% of the water was used.

Late news: Dad has replaced the shower head and where before it was 2.8 lites per 10 seconds, it is now 1.4 litres per 10 seconds. So we have halved the water flow.



3. I have put togther a sheet on how to read the water meter at home. I couldn't read a meter at first but dad showed me how to read it and I thought everyone should know how to do this so I have attached it to this blob. It will eventually be part of my Householder Pack on Managing Freshwater Usage in the Home.

You can copy and download this document if you like.


4. I also found out about how they 'make' the water we use in our homes. It goes like this -
- The water begins in a lake or dam where it is stored.
- It is pumped to a water treatment plant.
- Chemicals are added to make all of the dirt stick together and then they are filtered out.
- The water is disinfected to remove bacteria and other microorganisms.
- It is then stored in big water tanks before being pumped into our homes.

So thanks for reading my blog and I will send out another one real soon.
Bye.




No comments:

Post a Comment