Monday 10 September 2012

'Saving the World One Drop at a Time'

Good Afternoon to all of my Followers and Visitors

Today it is still very dry, but I wanted to update everyone on how my school project is going. As you are aware my project is about 'Freshwater and U', and over the last few weeks I have learnt a lot about the issues facing the increasing population and the shortge's we face with clean Freshwater.

As I put my reports and display together ready for next Tuesday's presentation I remember some of the important things I discovered along the way.

1. More than 2 billion people do not have access to reliable clean Freshwater and as a result more than 3 million people die each year because of it.

2. Organisations such as One Drop are out there helping people. I found OneDrp.org when I went to Cirque du Soleil. One Drop was started by the founder of Cirque du Soleil in Canada.
They have also been very supportive of the work I have been doing and have provided some great posters and handouts for my presentation.

Thank you OneDrop.org.   Please visit their website and support them.




3. I have also been lucky to have had support from SEQ Water and I have learnt a lot about how our Freshwater is cleaned and delivered to our home. We are so blessed to have access to clean Freshwater and we need to make sure we use it wisely.

I managed to check out the Capalaba Water Teatment Plant from the outside only.

 
 
seqwater.com.au is a great website to find out alot of things about Freashwater including
  • The Water Cycle
  • How they make clean Freshwater
  • How a Desalination Plant works
  • What the SE Queensland Water Grid is
  • How to save water
  • What we can do
4. Because I now know how important Freshwater is we did surveys at home, made some changes and we managed to reduce our total water usage by 37%.
The changes we made are permanent so we will continue to save water and money.
 
 
 
5. My Dad was so excited about the savings that we are now starting to change the way we use electricity as well.
 
I will keep on Blogging and I can't wait to show you photos of my school presentation.
 
But that's about it for now as I have to go and do some homework, though I would rather be 'Saving the World, One Drop at a Time'.
 
Bye
Matthew
 

No comments:

Post a Comment